Accidental Realities

May 9, 2017 A man, “Tom” was traveling through Wilmette when he fell asleep at the wheel, crossed the center line into oncoming traffic and collided into oncoming traffic injuring “Garth”. Garth sustained a fractured hip joint and broken leg below the knee. Tom only had state minimum coverage $25,000/$50,000 but $250,000 had to be paid to Garth.

January 1, 2018, Mr Sumer and family were injured when a person rear-ended their parked vehicle. The children were in the car and Mr. Sumer was attending to mechanical issues. The driver who hit them incurred $723,500 in damages. The driver had state minimum coverage $25,000/$50,000.

Febraury 3, 2017, Jenny was rear-ended at high speed and caused to crash into a telephone pole. The driver who caused the accident was intoxicated at the time of the accident. The driver had state minimum coverage $25,000/$50,000, but is on the hook for $800,000.

While names are changed, the accidents are real and pulled from the Jury Verdict Reporter, a Division of Law Bulletin Media, the question is, Are you covered? Contact me and lets chat.

Food Truck Business?

Food Truck Business?

Food Trucks are a fantastic way to start your long-term food restaurant business. The costs are substantially lower and less stressful than owning or renting a facility and building it up.  Its also away to test your recipes to see what is working.  It does come with its own frustrations and thus its own rewards. Many brick and mortar business restaurants keep their trucks long after their main restuarant is established. 

How to Help Prevent Water Damage

How to Help Prevent Water Damage

With the the many weather events such as hurricanes, you may now start thinking about water damage in your own home. These are valid concerns, however for most people water damage is more likely result from ordinary household appliance failures. Water damage cost renters and homeowners billions of dollars in losses each year. It is also responsible for about 25 percent of all property insurance claims.

Why Renters need Insurance

Why Renters need Insurance

Many renters are only partially correct under the assumption that if they are living in an apartment or rented building, they are protected under the landlord’s insurance policy. Every Renters’ insurance policy will vary depending upon the company that provides coverage, how much coverage is purchased and the exact situation. Short of smoking in the apartment and in many cases owning specific types of pets, landlords and apartment owners try to make potential renters as welcomed as possible. For most other cases, the landlord or property manager will just take your deposit if you create substantial damage to the property.

Commercial and Home Remodeling Insurance

When planning to renovate a home, residential structure, office building or even a multimillion-dollar commercial facility, clients face exposures not typically covered under a standard property insurance policy or risk minimal coverage should a loss occur. These clients could be contractors, homeowners, house flippers, business investors and other entities with an insurable interest in the structure. Whether preparing to add on to the existing structure or update it with new features, commercial and home remodeling insurance from the Builders Risk Plan provides financial protection and peace of mind for the simple upgrades to complex improvements throughout the course of construction. 

The Builders Risk Plan is an inland marine policy for residential and commercial course of construction projects, including interior and exterior home remodeling and property renovation. Policies are insured in the contractor or owner’s name, and clients benefit from the industry’s most comprehensive policy and flexible terms. Using our online platform, we create a policy specific to your clients’ needs while under construction. 

Project examples

  • Basic Remodel: changes to interior, (e.g. replacement of  interior fixtures, cabinets and flooring)

  • Minor Structural: changes to interior and exterior, (e.g. doors, windows, roof replacement and ground floor additions)

  • Major Structural: repair, replacement or removal of load-bearing walls or foundation of stories, stairways and elevators

  • Ineligible: Historical structures; projects involving the historical society or that will be applying for historical status during renovation


  • Rate, quote and issue online in minutes

  • Residential and commercial structures eligible

  • Option to insure the renovation value only or include coverage for the existing structure

  • 6, 9 or 12-month policy terms, extensions available with underwriting approval

  • Coverage for theft of building materials or vandalism

  • Option to purchase higher sub-limits and additional coverage, including endorsements for green building, change orders and many more

  • Occupancy for a single-family dwelling allowed if the building is being remodeled

  • Occupancy for two, three or four-family dwellings when less than 50 percent is leased or rented

  • Occupancy for commercial structures when less than 75 percent of the square footage is leased or rented

  • Improvements or renovations must represent at least 20 percent of the existing structure value

  • Direct billing with premium payment installment options